Goodnight, Dearest Darklings.
My dear darklings,
I’m sad to announce that Dear Darkling will be closing down this month. Once our hosting runs out, we will not be renewing it. Dear Darkling will be tucked gently into its coffin, and will go to sleep for good.
The reasons for this are complicated, with many related to the ever-increasing stranglehold that social media platforms have placed on small businesses. Please understand that this is not a decision we’ve made lightly. There were numerous discussions between myself, Jinx Strange (our founder), and Nicole Moore (my Senior Editor) as to whether we wanted to continue pouring our time, energy, and hope into a project that felt doomed by outside forces. Our eventual answer was a reluctant “We just can’t anymore.”
While my heart absolutely aches at this change, it also swells with pride and honor at having been involved in such an amazing group of writers, editors, and artists. When I took over the Editor-in-Chief position in 2017, I couldn’t have believed how many friendships would be formed with other members of Dear Darkling. These people are some of the most hard-working and lovely people I’ve had the good fortune to meet, and I thank them all from the bottom of my heart.
I also want to thank you, our readers. Without your support, your comments, your shares, we’d have bit the dust long ago. It was for you and because of you that we all held on as long as we did. I’m so sorry we have to leave you like this. Of course, our Facebook community group, Dearest Darklings, will remain open. We invite you all to join and get to know your fellow darklings (as well as many of our writers and editors)! I hope you’ll all continue making the world a more beautifully strange place. We are only as strong as our community, and though we’ve found each other through shared interests, we stay together when we stand shoulder to shoulder against hate in all its forms. We are stronger than the bad in the world. Follow the light, even when you are in love with the dark.
Those of you who were supporting us on Patreon should find you were not charged in January, as we shut our down Patreon on the 31st of December. It didn’t feel right to keep it open when we knew we’d be closing. Thank you so much to those of you who were sending us some of your hard-earned dollars. It allowed us to provide a modest payout to our writers, take care of our bills, and set things straight before shutting down.
If you’d like to continue following the spooks behind the articles you’ve come to love, please follow the links below. We might not be writing on Dear Darkling anymore, but we’re not planning to disappear. I hope you can join us on the great journey of whatever’s to come. Everything is a cycle, and while there might be a dark sky right now, that just means there’ll be room for more stars in the future.
Stay spooky, Darklings. We love you.
-Alex Moehagen, Editor-in-Chief
Follow your favorite writers:
- Jinx Strange continues to weave much-beloved scent magic at Strange Fire & Fumery, and maintains his rep as the only Glampire on LinkedIn.
- Alex Moehagen is up to her elbows in darkling soap over at Little and Grim, writing a novel, and getting purposely lost in the woods.
- Nicole Moore will no doubt remain as lovely and sassy as ever. You can follow her (and Gomez the cat) over on Instagram @atorsoboat.
- Caroline Blicq is the hardest working scent witch you’ll ever meet. Check out her extraordinary wares at Hexennacht.
- Janae Corrado, one of the OG Dirge writers and Dear Darkling’s resident arts expert, continues shaping the art world with her creeptastic skillz. You can follow her @janaecorrado.
- ExMachina is equal parts gorgeous and creepy. See if you agree @x_machina_x.
- Delie Kapetanović puts most of us to shame with her wit and beauty. Follow her @lilywhite_witch for the full experience.
- Charlotte Keighron is working her way through University while being 100% aesthetic goals. Stalk her gorgeous photography and amazing style @vvitchinghovr.
- E.K. Leimkuhler‘s DIY chops live on through their shop Vlad Hat, home of the original sock goat kit! You can also follow their IG @vladhatshop.
- Siboney Ornelas carries on being more fabulous than any human has a right to be, and always seems to be sharing things that give us serious clutchy hands. Follow along @lilbatling.
- Rachel Runyan is active in many beauty communities, and continues being at the forefront of indie beauty knowledge. Stalk her IG @arcadiarose.
Featured image by the incredibly talented Kyle Thompson.